Thursday, October 22, 2009

Anne Rice


I was most pleased to find out today (don't know how it took me this long to find this out - but what a pleasant surprise) that Anne Rice, famous author of the Interview with a Vampire series, gave her heart to Jesus in 1998.

There are many points to which this is of interest to me:
1. The weekend I became a Christian I was in fact reading Interview with a Vampire and was coming to a realization that what the book subscribed to was a glorification of something that stood in direct opposition to Christ - to be eternally damned on this earth, devoid of all light, empty of community, destined to feed off the life of others till their destruction...It's amazing to consider how much I was hungering for the supernatural in my life at that time, and Interview with a Vampire was so powerfully set aside in favour of eternal life.
2. God is a redemptive God. Anne's history is a childhood in a Christian home, with a 38 hiatus from the Lord. She called herself an agnostic during that time, and she relates her books deeply spiritual and supernatural bent to her own search for meaning in a dark time. Praise God that he brought Anne to the crossroads of faith once again.
3. She has not renounced her books (click here for her essay on this), which I believe is not wrong. I look at all those who read these books - they are obviously hungering for something more than the natural, as I was, and are happy to consume literature that offers something more to consider. I myself am grateful because even as I was reading her book back at the end of the 80s, early 90s, I was so hungry for eternal purposes. I'm just so grateful that she, and I, didn't relent until we found the eternal God. And, those avid readers of the Vampire Chronicles are poised to read the rest of her works, which are filled with faith, and redemption. What an opportunity!

No comments: