Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Funny moment this morning....Enjoy, Pat


Confession time.

So, I have a few phrases that I use to divert questions from the kids. When I was a child, and I asked Dad what was for dinner, he always said, "Pig's feet and dandelions." Drove me crazy, but makes me laugh now in recollection. So, to carry on McKinnon tradition but add my own slant, I say "Pickles and chicken." Makes the kids, and me, giggle (not sure about Ali since she sometimes rolls her eyes)....

And, another phrase that I use to divert questioning is (don't call Children's Aid please...) - "If I tell you, then I'd have to kill you" as if I were a covert agent....The kids always giggle. It helps to divert questioning when we are trying to surprise the kids on an adventure, or if I don't know the answer yet...

So, this morning, I overheard a funny exchange between Jack and Garrett that made me giggle. Jack called out from his bedroom, "Daddoo, wha's for bweaffast?" (translated, "Dad - what's for breakfast?") To which Garrett piped up from another room, "Jack, you know if he tells you, he'll have to kill you, don't you? But you already know - it's Pickles and Chicken!" At which point Jack yells, "Yay!!!"

...There I am in the kitchen, making coffee, falling on the ground laughing, all the while thinking, "Oh my goodness, what would the neighbours say?"

I wonder what they are going to say to their children when they grow up - that is as long as I haven't "killed" them before then. ;)

4 comments:

Carla said...

Wow, your family sure has a much more appetizing standard dinner answer than my family does. My mom (and her mother before her) is famous for her Fried Farts and Vinegar!

Pat and Ali said...

Oooh - I love that! Well, I don't love Fried Farts and Vinegar, but I do love that other families have their own sayings! This is very exciting!

Ben said...

Fried Farts and Vinegar? Too hilarious.
-Mary

Pat and Ali said...

I thought so too! :)